London and Middlesex Archaeology Society
Newsletter May 2013
Items of interest to Greenwich industrial historians
They are asking for papers for a Conference on The River and the Port of London to be held 16th November 2013 at the Museum of London. No details of how to contact them but the new newsletter editor is email@example.com
Deptford Creek - talk by Diana Rimel - Orpington and District Archaeology Society - 3rd July - The Priory, Church Hill, Orpington. 8 pm
The Woolwich Antiquarian Society newsletter includes some items – all by the inimitable Richard Buchan
Royal Laboratory building refurbishment – Richard notes that these buildings are the oldest in the Arsenal, dating from 1696 – and a laboratory was where people laboured. He notes that the developer had intended to refurbish them fir community use but by 2013 plans had changed ‘due to overwhelming pressure for more housing’ and so they will be flats,
19C Monorails - these were the subject of the Blackheath Scientific Society's April meeting. Richard tells us that the earliest one was made to move building materials round the Victualling Yard at Deptford in 1823. “It had cast iron posts nine feet apart with a forked top to support wooden beams 3" wide by 9" deep capped with a rounded iron rail. A pair of waggons was hung on either side of a two wheel bogey, below the level of the rail. Four men could use it to manage a balanced load of 2 ½ tons’. It was designed by H R Palmer, who
Richard cites Monorails of the 19Century, by A S Garner, Lightmoor Press, ISBN 13: 978 1899889 S7 0
As ever the Record is full of information – however we should note two particular items for the Spring 2013 issue
Ecological Garden. This has resulted from an award from the waste disposal company Biffa. It is to be built on an area between the concrete yard and the access track to the Thames Path, where they say ‘behind large ivy-covered trees lurks a large abandoned penstock building with a grill gate and a separate vent shaft. Wildlife in residence included various birds plus short tailed voles and grass snakes with visiting foxes and squirrels. With the help of someone from Crawley Council they have planted more trees, dug a pond and a viewing area and undertaken much work to encourage more wildlife.
The Centrifugal Engine House – this is part one of an article about this building which is not in the Trust area and still used by Thames Water. It was opened in 1916 and article describes work being carried out along with some pictures. The engines came from Fullerton, Hodgart and Barclay Ltd., Vulcan Foundry & Engine Works in Paisley and were vertical enclosed triple expansion type. Pumps came from Boving & Co. Ltd., and an Overhead Travelling Crane was from Joseph Booth Ltd. of Leeds. Some problems with these orders are described.
Other articles in this issue include:News from the grounds maintenance team
A short history of sewage and its disposal
The Great Stink
future steaming days – 23rd June, 28th July, 1st September, 13th October.